Vaughn Insurance Agency Company is an independent insurance agency serving Kentucky and Indiana. Vaughn represents a carefully selected group of financially sound, reputable partner insurance companies, and we place your policy with the company offering the best coverage at a competitive price. We work for you FIRST.
Our specialty is service—when you need us, we’ll be there.
Vaughn Insurance Agency Company writes both personal and commercial insurance. Vaughn writes all forms of Commercial Insurance including Professional Medical Liability and Church Insurance.
Remember… your best insurance policy is a good agent.
In 1917 Andrew Boyd Vaughn entered the insurance business by starting an agency known as A. B. Vaughn & Co. For a number of years the agency was located at 223 First Street in Henderson, Kentucky. A.B.’s son, Morris Beckham Vaughn joined him in the agency in 1933 after graduating from the University of Kentucky and then serving as a school principal in eastern Kentucky. In December 1948, while still in high school, Aileen Bradley joined the agency on a part-time basis.
In 1950 Morris left his father’s agency and opened another office at 238 Second Street in Henderson. This agency was known as Morris B. Vaughn Insurance Agency. At that time, Aileen Bradley stayed with the original agency. When A. B. Vaughn died in the early 1950s, the two agencies were combined into one. Shortly thereafter, Morris built an addition to his father’s residence at 315 North Main Street, Henderson, and moved the agency there, where it remains today. In November 1952, E. J. Mabry joined the agency as solicitor/agent.
On July 1, 1965, the agency purchased another local firm, Utley & Goehring Agency, which had been founded in1931 and was located 215 First Street, Henderson. Their leading company at the time was AETNA Insurance Company. Also, in the 1960s the agency purchased Carlisle Insurance Agency, which was owned at that time by Martha Henderson. Her leading company was Travelers Insurance Company.
On September 26, 1968, articles of incorporation were filed with Morris B.Vaughn and E.J. Mabry as the only stockholders, and the agency became Vaughn Insurance Agency Company. Interestingly the agency could not use “Vaughn Insurance Agency, Inc.” because there was a another Kentucky corporation already using that name. In December 1968 Aileen Bradley left the agency and on January 2, 1969, joined the Herron Insurance Agency (she later returned to Vaughn Insurance on January 22, 1974).
On January 2, 1970, Morris B. Vaughn resigned, as president of the agency and E.J. Mabry became president and general manager. Morris B. Vaughn continued on a part-time basis. When Morris B. Vaughn died on October 17, 1972, his wife, Jessie C.Vaughn, inherited his stock in the corporation, and E. J. Mabry continued as president and general manager. On July 8, 1974, E.J. Mabry resigned and opened his own agency two days later. As a result of his resignation, his stock was sold to Norris Odene Priest in August 1974.
On October 10, 1974, the officers of the corporation were changed to Norris O.Priest, president; Jessie C. Vaughn, vice-president; and Aileen Bradley, secretary/treasurer. In 1975 the agency went on the batch system with SAFECOM management, which was later called AGENA and is now known as Vertafore. On December 8, 1978, Norris O. Priest purchased the stock owned by Jessie C.Vaughn, thereby becoming the sole stockholder along with his wife, Mary Elizabeth Priest.
The agency acquired its first computers in January 1984 through a purchase agreement with Maryland Casualty Company. The agency’s first multi-user system was installed in August 1986. After graduating from Eastern Kentucky University, Norris and Mary Elizabeth Priest’s son, Norris Nisbet “Nibby” Priest, came into the agency in May 1986. After 46 years in the insurance business (41 of them with the “same” agency), Aileen Bradley retired on December 31, 1994, staying on to work on a part-time basis only.
Several renovation projects have gone on with the present location of the Vaughn Insurance Agency. In 1984 an expansion was made to create two additional offices out of existing apartments in the rear of the office, and a total renovation of the upstairs apartment into offices and was completed in the spring of 1987.